SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE INSTALLATION OF LAWN SPRINKLING AND IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
- Lawn sprinkling or irrigation systems shall not be installed without first obtaining a permit from the Water Authority. New construction must have metered water service prior to the installation of the system. Commercial customers should install a separate water meter to sub-meter their irrigation system use.
- The permit may be issued to the property owner or the installer.
- The application for the permit shall be accompanied by a sketch plan of the proposed sprinkler system and shall be approved by the Water Authority “prior” to the issuance of a permit or the commencement of any work.
- The service line can be no larger than 1 inch in diameter and the sprinkler head orifice can be no larger than 3/16 of an inch.
- All systems shall be installed downstream of the water meter and main check valve and shall be equipped with a double check backflow prevention device and rain sensors.
- An inspection of the backflow prevention device and rain sensor must be made by the Water Authority after its installation.
- Rain sensors must be placed a minimum of 3 feet away from the residence foundation.
- No portion of the proposed lawn sprinkling or irrigation system shall be installed within the right-of-way of any road or utility easement.
- The permit fee of $50.00 is required upon issuance of the permit. Follow up to failed inspection $25.00
- REQUESTS FOR INSPECTION MUST BE RECEIVED 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE INSPECTION BY TELEPHONING THE WATER AUTHORITY AT 383-1122.
- Installers will be charged a fine of $250.00 for each installation begun prior to permit issuance.
Summer Watering Restrictions
In the interest of balancing water system demand, maintaining proper system pressure, and conserving precious water resources, it is necessary to limit lawn watering to odd/even days based on your house number. You may water at any time of the day that you find convenient. This policy will be in effect from May 1st through September 30th, as it is every year. Please be aware of the inclining block rate structure used for billing by the Authority. Chart your water usage to avoid any surprise when bills arrive.